Friday, May 17, 2013

Why I Make My Own Baby Wipes...

So the story begins with me trying to conceive...I had some issues and decided to change my diet and remove dangerous chemicals from my products. One of the culprit chemicals that attacks your reproductive system are from the Paraben family. Parabens are a class of chemicals widely used as preservatives by cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. The family of Parabens include Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Heptylparaben, Methylparaben, and Propylparaben. Read more about the dangers of Parabens HERE. So what does this have to do with making baby wipes... Well most baby wipes contain them and I had no idea...

I received a case of Pamper's baby wipes for my baby shower. The case contains three bags of wipes inside that are unmarked and unlabeled. So when baby Oliver was born I asked my husband to get me some baby wipes and he brought me one of the bags. Since I was exhausted I did not think to investigate the ingredients in the wipes and since the bag had nothing on it I just ignored it. When I got myself together after the birth and started getting back into daily routine, I went to the room where all the baby stuff was. I picked up the case of baby wipes and the word Paraben jumped out and slapped me in the face. Here I am trying to protect my baby from these crappy chemicals and I have been washing his genitals with them for some time. I immediately threw them out....

I realized baby wipes are a new invention for convinced so I went online to see if anyone else made their own baby wipes. I found out a lot of people do. Some to save money, others to save the planet from waste, and some to save our babies from horrible chemicals. 


Since then, Oliver and I started venturing out more and I found it easier to carry a small spray bottle of diluted solution and dry wipes. I just spray him , wipe and then throw the wipes in our wet bag with the soiled diapers. 

At home since Oliver started squirming around during diaper changes I found it much easier and much more hygienic to walk his tush and other parts in the tub after pooping...so I don't even use wipes at home. I just hold his tushy under the running water and soap him up. 

Ladies I would highly recommended that you carefully read all your products as well as your baby's products to make sure these bad ingredients aren't in there. They are in almost EVERYTHING! What is crazy to me is that face creams I use to spend tons of money on contained them too. So just because something is pricey doesn't mean it is good.  Don't be ignorant do research and protect yourselves from the poisons that these money making companies are trying to expose you to. I am not willing to be a guinea pig for no one especially when I am paying for the products. I hope I spread some awareness. Remember a good rule of thumb is if you would feel safe putting it in your mouth you shouldn't put it on your body. Your skin is a living organ, it absorbs everything you put on it...

1 comment: